Pages

Friday, October 24, 2014

What I've been playing


 Wow, its been ages since I've written anything here. I didn't forget this place I just  couldn't think of anything to write.
I've been going through another "internet burnout" period. Took a time out for a while from my facebook page as well and just recently started posting regularly again.

What have I been doing all this time?
Nacho...pure sexy!

Well, life stuff of course. Family, dogs, gaming. My usual stuff.
We got a third dog and his name is Nacho and he's the sexiest Chihuahua ever! He gets along well with Tater,our scruffy mutt but for some reason he just isn't feeling the love with Meatball (probably because Meatball was the original sexy beast and Nacho is stealing his title). So I spend my time breaking up doggie drama and having a dogtourage follow me around the house. Hard not to feel gangsta with a dogtourage behind me.

I've actually been gaming a lot more lately than I used to, mostly on my Vita.
Just so you know, Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate is like crack. CRACK I TELL YOU! but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Lets see, what have I played lately?

I started playing Hakuoki on PS3 but I ended up getting the worst cold/flu in history and set it aside only to get sidetracked with other stuff. I'll get around to it eventually. I was actually really enjoying the additional stories they added to it since I've already played the basic story 3 times over 3 other games. I think I'm a little Hakuoki'd out for the time being. Though I still love it to bits.

After I set that aside I finally got around to finishing Tales of The Abyss...only took me what? 3 years? Man that was a fabulous game.
I tried to get back into SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked and quickly discovered why I had put it down ages ago. I'm stuck at a really shitty battle, (which is the same reason i stopped playing FFX) some day I SHALL be victorious dammit!

When my Flu hit round 2 I decided to go with Tales of Xillia since I bought Tales of Xillia 2 and kinda feel like I should maybe make an effort to try to get through them both. I think I'm about 2/3rds through Xillia and its really great, except for Milla. I cannot stand the character and I cannot stand the voice acting for her. Everything else is absolutely wonderful.

I probably would have continued playing Xillia to the end if Danganronpa 2 hadn't come out. Burned through that one in a few days. That was an experience. It was just as good as the first one and had just as many annoyances. I know this sounds like a weird thing to say about a game but...I wish it had LESS gameplay.

For those not familiar with Danganronpa its like...Persona 4 and Phoenix Wright had a psychopathic baby...I guess I should explain...

The premise is like this:
You and a bunch of other students are locked in a school with no means of escape. Your captor/headmaster is a sadistic stuffed bear named Monokuma. The only way to get out of this place is to murder someone and get away with it. Which is where the actual gameplay comes in.
You spend your days talking to the other students and giving them gifts in order to get to know them better (like a super simplified version of P4 social links). Eventually someone gets killed and you begin the investigation phase of the game. You question people, look for evidence, the usual type of stuff. Once that's done a class trial begins. You must use the evidence you've gathered to find the guilty party. If the killer is discovered he/she will be punished (executed in a horrible way). the twist is, if the killer is NOT discovered they will go free and the rest of the students will be executed.
This is all well and good but the actual trial mechanics can be a bit of a chore and they bring down the awesomeness of the game/story a bit.

The sequel is much the same except that instead of a school its a group of people on a handful of  deserted islands.

Once I got over the mind-fuck that was Danganronpa 2 I dove straight into Dynasty Warriors 8 Extreme Legends because anyone who knows me knows I fucking LOVE THE SHIT outta DW, Sima Yi in particular (I have no idea why, don't judge). For the record DW 8 is definitely worth the price of admission, I'm actually planning on picking up a ps3 copy eventually because Lu Bu deserves a large screen dammit!
I was in the middle of K.O.ing many many identical dudes when I got Conception  2 in the mail...I seriously need to write a whole 'nother entry just for Conception 2...its just too much to go into now..too much weirdness I mean.

Sadly once you get past the "shock value" of "Classmating" and weirdness the game gets pretty tedious and repetitious and I set it aside in order to finish the last 2 DLCs for Muramasa Rebirth. I managed to complete those the same day Warriors Orochi 3 came out and ever since then its been my crack. I think its been like a month or so since it came out and I've been playing it pretty much every day. Still haven't even touched the mountain of DLC I bought for it.

I also recently started playing Hatoful Boyfriend. If you haven't heard of that one either, I don't blame you, its pretty niche.
Its a VN about a girl who is the only human going to an all bird school. So all the boys you make friends with/romance/whatever are actually pigeons. I know, I know, it sounds beyond bizarre. But honestly, once you get past the whole pigeon thing and the horrible bird puns, its pretty good. So far i've gotten 4 out of 14 endings and i'm looking forward to hopefully answering many of the questions I currently have.

I think thats about it...
Oh wait no.. Last night I started Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA f and realized I have zero hand/eye coordination.

Coming up soon....
I'm thinking of picking up Akiba's Trip tonight though I'm not sure when I'll get around to that and I've pre-ordered  Tales of Hearts R and Persona Q which are both coming out next month.

I did pick up Persona 4 Arena Ultimax recently but I haven't played it yet. I still haven't finished the first one though I did make some progress on it a couple weeks ago. As much as I like Persona Arena I really think it should be called something other than a fighting game. Its more like 20 minutes of text/dialogue punctuated by the occasional 20 second fight. I'm not complaining, its a lot of fun and its interesting but, its not really a fighting game.

Speaking of fighting games, I suck at them and I can't say I like any of them besides Soul Calibur but a while back I bought Injustice: Gods Among Us while it was on sale for Vita and its fantastic. Surprisingly good story and really fun. Even for a spaz like me.

What have we learned today?
That's right, I buy and play too many games and I really suck at them and that's why I never finish any of them.

If I can unglue myself from WO3 long enough and slow my brain down enough to get actual coherent thoughts going I'll probably write a bit about Conception 2 soon, I just didn't want to make this post much longer than it already is...plus its lunch time and i'm hungry!





No comments: